Janison and Deakin University have launched a highly innovative, all-Australian Massive Open Online Course. Leveraging an existing partnership with Deakin University, Janison were asked in late April 2013 to develop a MOOC platform for Deakin University’s open learning space, DeakinConnect with the first course “Humanitarian Responses to 21st Century Disasters”. Deakin University had considered using some of the American MOOC platforms, but wanted something more innovative, fresh and unique, and a partner they could work with closely. Specifically, they were interested in innovation around peer assessment of Learning Outcomes such as Critical Thinking and Global Citizenship. In order to meet the tight timeframe, Janison extended our Cloud Learning Suite product, which already had much of the base infrastructure that a MOOC needs.
If you would like to experience this free course please visit www.deakinconnect.com
The result is a world-class MOOC platform, including:
- Peer Assessment – students can elect to solicit peer credit of their learning exhibits against the Learning Outcomes
- Integration with an online portfolio tool – ‘Pathbrite’, allowing students to rapidly put together highly engaging and personalised portfolios as their personal development progresses during the course.
- Social Networking - Optional profile synchronisation from LinkedIn and posting updates to LinkedIn and Facebook.
- Highly engaging discussion forums designed to stimulate engagement and debate.
- Earning badges when peers award credit based on learning exhibits that shows mastery of learning outcomes at or beyond agreed standards.
- Rich, fully tracked, and maintainable content, including a range of templates such as quizzes, videos, further resources, images, articles.
- Janison used the Out-of-the-box CLS Self-Registration process designer to ensure the desired demographics are captured when students sign up.